West High School
West High School is a comprehensive urban high school serving a diverse socio-economic and ethnic community. West offers over 200 courses ranging from remedial courses to vocational and college-level academics, including the prestigious Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs, designed for serious academic students. In addition, West is committed to a strong program of character education. The teaching staff is committed to excellence, motivation and challenging students in the classroom as well as encouraging participation and involvement in athletics, clubs, artistic activities, and community service.
Facts About West
- West High was chosen by the Utah State Legislature to be a Centennial School, one of 98 chosen from 700 schools. Centennial School status allows West High to participate in site-based decision making.
- West High has 18 National Merit semi-finalists in the class of 2007.
- 75% of the 2006 Senior Class took ACT and/or SAT tests.
- West High School ranks as the top Utah school according to Newsweek Magazine. West came in at 163 among 1139 schools that made the national rankings.
- Over 265 scholarships were offered to West High School students totaling over $1.1 million dollars in scholarship monies for our graduating seniors.
- West High students achieve high honors in competitions such as the State Math Contest, Brigham Young University Science Bowl, State and National History Fairs, American High School Math Exam, and Utah Academic Decathlon.
- West High has a very active Alumni Association, which raises $40,000-$50,000 annually for scholarships for West High graduating seniors.
School Boundaries Map