Rose Park Elementary School
1105 West 1000 North
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
Open Enrollment Status: Open
» School Boundary Map
» District Boundary Map
» UCAS Reports and School Grades
» School Improvement Plan
» School Community Council Meetings
Rose Park Elementary has been serving the educational needs of the Rose
Park community for over 50 years. The children had the opportunity to
watch the new school be built while attending the original school. The
new school was officially opened in the Fall of 2001. The new school
is larger, safer, and equipped with the latest technology.
Facts About Rose Park
- Our primary goal is to create an educational environment that is
culturally sensitive and promotes academic success for all children.
This goal is accomplished through the active collaborative efforts
of the Salt Lake City School District community Education’s Learning
Plus program, through parents, community and business partners, and
also through the caring staff at our school. In this way, Rose Park
Elementary is considered by many to be a true “community” school.
- For LITERACY we are using a K-6 researched-based, developmental reading and language arts program called Storytown (Harcourt). The program emphasizes explicit systematic instruction in the areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, comprehension, and writing. The program provides practice and application of these skills for all learners. Our mission is to continue to use best teaching practices and authentic assessments to drive our instruction. Our goal is for every student at Rose Park to be a proficient reader and writer.
- Early Reading Intervention (ERI) – this program is designed for Kindergarten students. Students receive thirty minutes of instruction five days a week. Intervention includes: phonological awareness, alphabetic understanding, word reading, and writing development.
- Early Steps (ES) – this program is designed for first grade students. Students who qualify for this program receive thirty minutes of instruction by an interventionist on daily basis. Students are pulled out of the classroom only during independent practice. Intervention includes: assisted reading at instructional level, word study, writing, and fluency practice.
- Next Steps (NS) – this program is designed for second through sixth grade students. Students who qualify for this program receive forty–five minutes of instruction by an interventionist on a daily basis. Students are pulled out of the classroom only during independent practice. Intervention includes: assisted reading at instructional level, word study, and fluency practice.
- ES/NS Interventionists (highly qualified teachers and paraprofessionals) are certified by the University of Utah Reading Clinic.
Rose Park Highlights
- Rose Park Elementary’s Community School initiative is designed
to provide extended services to children and their families in an effort
to reply to President Bush’s “No Child Left Behind” legislation.
We offer a well-balanced program of educational support and developmentally
appropriate enrichment activities before and after school which complements
the school’s excellent day time programs.
- Family support such as computer, parent support groups and parenting classes are also
offered in the evening.
- We are currently working on teaching the reciprocity of reading and
writing through the content areas. One of our major goals is to improve
our students' writing.
- Additional services such as an IHC on-site health clinic, family
counseling, a quality after-school program, adult evening classes,
and extended hours provide a complimentary balance to our well-trained
faculty and staff.