Emerson Elementary School
1017 East Harrison Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
Open Enrollment Status: Open
» School Boundary Map
» District Boundary Map
» UCAS Reports and School Grades
» School Improvement Plan
» School Community Council Meetings
"Emerson, we love to learn". Emerson sits in a quiet Salt Lake neighborhood called Liberty Heights, not far from Liberty Park. Emerson's administration and staff are committed to providing a quality education for all of its students. Our diverse school population works well together to create a caring school environment.
Our Mission: The mission of Emerson Elementary School is to develop a partnership among students, teachers, parents, and community and to promote the educational development of our children. We strive to instill a lifelong love of learning and a respect for everyone in our society.
Facts About Emerson
- There has been a school on this site for over 100 years.
- The first Emerson Elementary was opened in 1896.
- The current Emerson Elementary School is a unique structure. It was built in the late 70"s for energy-efficiency and is surrounded by earthen berms.
- Emerson has always had a strong PTA and SCC and parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the school.
- Emerson participates in a character education program called Community of Caring, adhering to the Values of Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Trust, and Family.
- Emerson is home to three distinct programs: our regular neighborhood classrooms K-6th, Salt Lake School District's classrooms K-6th, for Emotionally Disturbed students, and an identified-gifted and Spanish-immersion program called International Pathways with grades 1st - 6th.
- Emerson students participate in a variety of Fine Art programs: music, theater, music and enjoy working with an Artist in Residence yearly.
- Emerson has a strong after-school program provided by Community Education, providing our children with quality activities, fun field trips, and well-supervised after-school care.
- Emerson maintains a well-equipped computer lab, offering keyboarding practice, standardized testing experiences, Internet instruction, and educational software. A part-time computer assistant helps manage the lab, while teachers facilitate students' instruction. Classrooms are scheduled for weekly visits.
- Emerson added ETC (Electronic Technology Classrooms) in 2008-09 to the 5th and 6th grade regular Ed. classrooms.