Emerson Elementary School
1017 East Harrison Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
Open Enrollment Status: Open
» School Boundary Map
» District Boundary Map
» UCAS Reports and School Grades
» School Improvement Plan
» School Community Council Meetings
"Emerson, we love to learn". Emerson sits in a quiet Salt Lake neighborhood called Liberty Heights, not far from Liberty Park. Emerson's administration and staff are committed to providing a quality education for all of its students. Our diverse school population works well together to create a caring school environment.
Our Mission: The mission of Emerson Elementary School is to develop a partnership among students, teachers, parents, and community and to promote the educational development of our children. We strive to instill a lifelong love of learning and a respect for everyone in our society.
Facts About Emerson
- There has been a school on this site for over 100 years.
- The first Emerson Elementary was opened in 1896.
- The current Emerson Elementary School is a unique structure. It was built in the late 70"s for energy-efficiency and is surrounded by earthen berms. It was remodeled in 2010.
- Emerson has always had a strong PTA and SCC and parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the school.
- Emerson participates in a character education program called Community of Caring, adhering to the Values of Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Trust, and Family.
- Emerson is home to three distinct programs: our regular neighborhood classrooms, grades K-6, Salt Lake School District's classrooms K-6 for emotionally disturbed students, and an identified-gifted and Spanish-immersion program called International Pathways with grades K-6.
- Emerson students participate in a variety of Fine Art programs: musical theatre, an arts specialist, and music. All students work with an Artist in Residence yearly and their masterpieces are featured at our Annual Arts Festival and Talent Show
- Emerson has a strong after-school program provided by Community Education, providing our children with quality activities, fun field trips, and well-supervised after-school care. In addition, we offer Kindergarten Enrichment through Community Education.
- Emerson maintains two well-equipped computer labs, offering keyboarding practice, standardized testing experiences, Internet instruction, and educational software. A part-time computer assistant helps manage the lab, while teachers facilitate students' instruction. Classrooms are scheduled for weekly visits.
- All classrooms have Smartboards and LCD projectors and each teacher has an iPad.
- We have two floating carts with 30 netbooks each and one cart with 30 surface tablets for use in classrooms.
- Our grades work on a rotation schedule with weekly rotations in physical education, computer lab, and library.
- Emerson leads the district in technological development for the use of educational enhancement.