Backman Elementary School
Named after school board member Gustave H. Backman, the first Backman Elementary School opened its doors in 1955. Since the opening of the new school in 2002, the school is the Pride of our community.
Facts About Backman
- Our school is the lion. Pride is the name given to a family of lions.
- Like our mascot, our school family takes Pride in the following:
- A dedicated, caring, progressive staff that put children first;
- A student population rich in ethnic and cultural diversity;
- Support of the fine arts as depicted in our unique mural and annual theatre production, choreographed by Ms. Peterson, 6th Grade teacher;
- Teachers teach to the Utah State Core;
- Our class/school rules are rooted in the Four Be’s: Be Here, Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectable;
- Curriculum used schoolwide: Story Town, Math Expressions, and Spotlight on Literacy.
- Our After School Program has had tremendous success. It offers a balanced curriculum with emphasis on homework and strong collaboration with the teachers.
- Sound bodies contribute to sound minds. Backman Elementary is a Gold Medal School – a wellness program for schools. In addition, fresh fruits and vegetables (independent of the lunch program) are served twice weekly.
- Parent nights are held monthly and include math nights, parenting classes, and literacy nights, sponsored by KUED.
- A strong counseling program which includes conflict resolution and community council.
- Our students are students of promise.
- Our Spring Carnival brings the community together to celebrate students' progress during the year.
School Boundaries Map