Working for the Salt Lake City School District
The Salt Lake City School District, as a catalyst for creating a new standard of educational excellence, will ensure high levels of student learning and performance in all schools and will prepare all students to pursue and celebrate lives of continuous learning and service in a diverse, global society.
Each student is valued and nurtured to achieve his or her highest potential academically, physically and socially, resulting in a principled contributor to society.
- The Salt Lake City School District had 23,919 students enrolled in its regular day school programs.
- 183 students were being home schooled.
- 54% were minority (other than Caucasian).
- 98 languages were spoken by the students who attended our schools.
- The Salt Lake City School District has 1,458 teachers, counselors, library/media specialists and other certified personnel.
- The first step of our teacher’s salary schedule is $37,280. The average compensation for new teachers hired by our district is $44,095.
- View the Salary Schedules here
- View Benefits here
- View Jobs and Applications Process here
- New Teachers
- The district currently consists of 39 schools:
- 4 high schools
- 1 alternative high school/adult learning center
- 4 middle schools (grade 7-8)
- 1 middle school (grades 6-8)
- 1 K-8 school
- 26 elementary schools
- 2 district sponsored schools
- Multiple specialized programs
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)
- CTC Industry Relevant Career Pathways
- Curriculum & Assessment Lab
- Dual Immersion and Bilingual
- eMints and Enhanced Technology Classrooms
- Extended Learning Programs
- International Baccalaureate
- International Pathways
Other Schools, Programs and Options
- The district provides a variety of optional programs and choice initiatives within the district.
Charter schools (dependent/independent)
- Open Classroom (grades K-8)
- Salt Lake Center for Science Education (grades 6-12)
- Salt Lake School for the Performing Arts
- Academy for Math, Engineering and Science (AMES)
Current Expenditures Per Pupil In Fall Enrollment (2011-12)*
- State Average - $6,384
- Salt Lake City School District - $7,727
*Source –USOE Superintendent’s Annual Report dated December 2012
|Class||Students to Teacher Ratio|
- 1 Elementary Counselor to 1,000 students
- 1 Middle School Counselor to 333 students
- 1 High School Counselor to 380 students
Implementation of Common Core State Standards in language arts and mathematics:
- Provided professional development for all elementary and secondary language arts and mathematics teachers
- Created district pacing guides for all grade levels
- Developed district assessments for all grade levels
- Academic coaches work with teachers in classrooms to improve instruction and increase student achievement.