Language and Culture
As a Language and Culture Instructional Coach, my role in the Educational Equity Department is to support teachers in increasing growth in English proficiency for all levels of English Learners and achievement in academic content assessed by challenging state standards.
Language and Culture Professional Development may be offered through a variety of models. I am able to work with your faculty, grade level, department, collaborative group, or with individual teachers. If you are interested in support to better meet the needs of linguistically, racially, or culturally diverse students, please contact me!
Specific areas of focus may include, but are not limited to:
• Culturally Responsive Teaching - developing knowledge, skills, and attitudes to better connect the academic world to the personal experience of each student.
• Language instruction that focuses on increasing oral language proficiency as a way to lead to increased reading comprehension and increased proficiency in writing in all content areas.
• English Language Development (ELD) support - analyzing data, setting goals, establishing interaction routines to increase student participation, and increasing the quality of instruction to increase the achievement of English learners.
• Increasing growth in English proficiency for all levels of English Learners.
• Increasing achievement in academic content assessed by challenging state standards.
Margaret Opatz - 801.578.8220
Administrative Assistant: Frank Brambila - 801-578-826