World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA)
Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State (ACCESS)
WIDA ACCESS is Utah’s summative assessment of English language learners. It is developed and maintained by the WIDA consortium, of which Utah is a member state. This assessment is administered for a number of purposes:
• to measure individual students’ progress in achieving proficiency in speaking, listening to, comprehending, reading, and writing academic English
• to determine the success of language development programs in individual schools and school districts
• to fulfill a requirement of the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001
The WIDA ACCESSis comprised of tests in four modalities - Speaking, Listening Reading, and Writing. Raw scores are reported for each of these modalities as well as for Comprehension. The Comprehension score is calculated on a subset of Listening and Reading items.
Students to be tested include:
- All newly enrolled LEP students.
- All LEP students whose proficiency level on the WIDA ACCESS was:
- Entering (1)
- Beginning (2)
- Developing (3)
- Expanding (4)
The WIDA ACCESS is intended for limited English proficient (LEP) students only.